Banking and money services

Withdrawing at ATMs from foreign banks can get pricy and you'll want somewhere safe for your money.  Unless you're working for an organisation that sets up banking for you, you'll need to get yourself sorted up with some form of money management services.  I've pulled together a range of options that I've used in Battambang.  I've deliberately avoided including costs and service fees for any of the services because they change so quickly but I've linked to the institutions' websites where that's appropriate.

Banking

If you need a local bank in Battambang I'd recommend ABA at this location. They have a good reputation and are wholly owned by the National Bank of Canada.  They have a decent network of ATMs throughout the country.  I've found their online customer service operators very efficient and the branch staff are helpful and well informed.   Their online banking works smoothly and I'm able to pay some of my utility bills through it and transfer money easily.

ATMs are available at the branch and on Street 121 next to Delicious restaurant ATM location and outside Classy Hotel .  They've only run out of cash twice since I started using them in 2018, both times during major holidays. Plan ahead.

I visited personally to open my account but you can also complete all the paperwork online. You'll be emailed a reference code, all you need to do is take that and the required documentation to the bank and you're good to go. 

Of course, documentation requirements, fees and account descriptions change over time so I'm not going to list them here, better that you hop on over to their well-designed site for up to date information.  They have an embedded live chat app there too so you can get clarification and further information.  ABA Bank website

Electronic cash handling

If you don't need a local bank account you might still need the means to pay bills, top up your phone and keep cash safe.  I found this FinTech product when I moved house and my landlord banked with ACLEDA.  I couldn't find an easy way to transfer to ACLEDA from ABA.  Opening an account with this bank would have meant having to tie cash up with them but their ToanChet app was a great solution and I didn't need a bank account with them to get one.

ACLEDA's website isn't as slick as ABA's but it explains how ToanChet works better than I can.   Theoretically, you can apply online but I got in a right fankle with that, take your passport to the branch and swallow your tech pride, they'll walk you through the process.  The staff in the branch on Road 3 were incredibly helpful. Essentially, you can pay cash into your ToanChet account over the counter or through one of their pay-in ATMs.  You can then use it to draw the money out again, saving you from carrying huge wads of cash around or make electronic payments for an ever-growing list of items and services. 

Money Changers

On the south side of Psar Nat, you'll find a sprinkling of shops which sell jewellery on one side and have glassed-in counters on the opposite side.  In any of these stores, you can break a 100 USD note and get the denominations you want in return.  I usually get a mixture of smaller dollars and reil.

You can also exchange most currencies.  I've found their rates pretty good. As always, check the notes for wear and tear before you accept them.




Wing Money App

This is another FinTech app that allows you to pay bills and transfer cash to other people.  It's a phone to phone service and very popular with online sellers.  Head off to your local Wing shop, they're all over the place, once you see one you'll see dozens.  I'd personally recommend the big store on Preah Viheah, near the statue of the man carrying baskets of bananas to market to get yourself set up.  They're well geared up to deal with clueless foreigners.  Counter staff will register you and give you login details, pay some money into your account and you're good to go.  I've used it a couple of times and it's worked very well.  You can now use the ABA phone app to add money to your Wing Account, free of charge.  Check the current fees of course, their website's very informative and slick and their customer service staff on the phone have been really impressive.  Wing Money website

Comments

Popular Posts